Current GSGSSI consultations and a list of previous consultations with outcomes.
Public Consultation On A Proposed New Entry Control Ordinance
This consultation is closed. The outcome is the Entry Control Ordinance 2022.
Delivery of Protect, Sustain, Inspire – Development of Success Criteria and Milestones
This consultation is closed. The outcome is the government’s Delivery Programme.
Amateur Radio Licences – Policy Consultation
Update 19/10/21: The consultation period has closed. We are actively considering responses and will publish consultation outcomes in due course.
The Government of South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands is pleased to announce the opening of public consultation on a draft policy for amateur radio licensing.
The arrangements outlined in the policy are intended to be a temporary measure whilst a review of legislation within the territory is undertaken. The Government recognises that communications legislation is in need of further attention and improvement.
In order to chart the smoothest path from the present position (where no licences can be issued) to a position where individuals can apply for a licence, the Government has chosen to utilise an existing piece of law – The Wireless Telegraphy Ordinance Cap 78 – to provide a lawful framework for licensing. This legislation has been modified under the provisions of Section 12 of the South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands Order 1985, to modernise some of the outdated language and to update certain roles within Government.
A copy of the modified legislation, and a certificate of modification, is provided below for information. Please note that the Government does not intend to consult on the modified legislation, only on the accompanying policy.
The summary of the Government’s proposed policy is:
1. To delegate the administration of amateur radio licences to the Falkland Island Regulator, recognising that the Falkland Islands Government is better equipped to process applications and maintain a database of licence holders;
2. To issue amateur radio call signs with the prefix VP0, followed by an alphabetic character of either S or G. This recognises the petition of the amateur radio community on prefixes, balanced with the requirement by OFCOM for SGSSI and British Antarctic Territory to share a prefix across the 2 Territories;
3. To set a validation cycle of 5 years – in recognition of community feedback on this point; and
4. To charge a modest fee of £10 for a licence.
– Download: Telecommunications Licensing Policy – here [.pdf, 0.9mb]
– Download: Modified Wireless Telegraphy Ordinance Cap 78 [copy for consultation, original has been signed by the Commissioner] – here [.pdf, 1.1mb]
We would welcome feedback on the policy on this page, it’s provisions and content using the following online form – here
The consultation process will end at midday Falkland Islands time on Monday 18th October 2021.
Consultation Period On A New Strategic Framework
This is closed. The outcome is Protect Sustain Inspire.
Terrestrial Protected Areas Consultation
This consultation is closed. The outcome is the designation of the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Specially Protected Area in 2022.
Heritage Framework and Strategy
Response to the Consultation (27/12/17)
Response to Consultation on the Draft Heritage Strategy [.docx, 0.01mb]
Heritage Framework and Strategy Consultation (June - August 2017)
The Heritage Framework and Strategy has been prepared by heritage consultants Purcell. It was commissioned by the Government following the publication of its 5-year Strategy 2016-2020. The Heritage Framework and Strategy sets out a conservation philosophy and a set of conservation principles that will form the basis of future policies.