Regulated Activity Permit

Applications for the 2022/23 season are now closed

GSGSSI is currently updating Regulated Activity Permit application procedures in advance of the 2023/24 season. We hope to release the new guidance and application forms in June.

If you have any queries before then, please contact

If you are visiting South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands for a purpose other than tourism, a Regulated Activity Permit (RAP) may be required.

In addition to the necessary permissions issued by GSGSSI, any application involving Marine Scientific Research which is to be undertaken by non-UK flagged vessels must also apply for approval through the FCDO Article 246 approvals process. The necessary guidance is available at

There are three categories of application depending on the complexity of your project. This will ensure that environmental assessments are scalable and commensurate with the potential impacts of activities and appropriate safety and search and rescue provision is in place. Some activities require a permit under the Wildlife and Protected Areas Ordinance 2011 (WPA) particularly where they involve interactions with wildlife, plants and/or import or export of samples. This permitting requirement will be incorporated within the RAP application process. Failure to have a permit or breaking the terms of a permit could be a criminal offence under the WPA.

The Government of South Georgia & the South Sandwich Island has a Privacy Policy regarding the purpose, use and sharing of any Personal Information collected via Regulated Activity Permit applications:

Please note that there are some activities that GSGSSI will not permit. These include:

  • Use of aircraft including helicopters and hot air balloons.
  • Field projects which are not supported by BAS and that do not have a dedicated support vessel.
  • Use of explosives.
  • Importation of non-native species.
  • Methods or activities that are banned under CCAMLR.

Exceptions to the above may be granted by the Commissioner in exceptional circumstances.

Regulated Activity Permit Applications

  • RAP feedback form: here
  • Sample collection form [xls, 0.01mb] – any projects wishing to collect samples as part of their RAP application MUST use this form. You will be required to upload it to the RAP application portal as part of your application.